Thursday, September 9, 2010

Eating a Tanzanian Breakfast


Two posts in one day? Whaat?

I also wanted to include some of the groovy food I'm eating. Rice, beans, meat, and cabbage can get a little monotonous, but breakfast is pretty exciting (albeit a little artery-clogging)


Above you see (clockwise from the bottom of the plate) half keki (a tasty breakfast cake thing), andazi (fried dough), chapati (Swahili flatbread), and a beef samosa. Pretty much all of the breakfast options besides fruit (usually bananas, papaya, watermelon, or oranges) is fried. Awesome! Hard boiled eggs are also popular.The cup has chai ya rangi (black tea) in it. I usually take my chai with milk (ya maziwa), but dairy renders my malaria meds ineffective if taken together. Also, when you get coffee or tea with milk here, it's all hot milk, no water. Even instant coffee tastes great that way. Despite the fact that Tanzanian is a major kahawa producer, it's difficult to get anything but AfriCafe, the popular instant brand. I'm holding out for some legit places in Zanzibar :)

That plate of grub in the picture cost me 1900 TSH, which is a bit over $1 US. Eating at the main university cafeteria usually costs me less than half of that (this was from a fancier cafe on campus). As I post more, y'all may begin to get an idea of weak the Tanzanian shilling is.

Baadaye!

No comments:

Post a Comment